Song of Solomon 2:7
“Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you by the gazelles and by the does of the field: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires.”
This verse is repeated twice In Song of Solomon,
so I’m bringing it up twice in a row.
Look at these lines from DR Amen’s book about Oxytocin
- Researchers suspect that this hormone is important for forming close social bonds
- the level of this chemical rise when couples watch romantic movies, hug or hold hands.
- levels of oxytocin are lower in men, except after an orgasm,
- where they are raised more than 500 percent.
- higher oxytocin levels are also associated with an increased feeling of trust
It is also related to feelings of closeness, and being “in love” when you have sex regularly
- the skin is sensitized by oxytocin
- this encourages affection and touching
- has an amnesic effect during sex and orgasm that
- blocks negative memories people have about each other for a period of time
So what is wrong with that.
It creates a shortcut, an illusion that there is a really strong relationship,
when this drug that your body generates is glossing over the weak parts
in a relationship.
the same drug is released during childbirth and while the mother is nursing.
It has the same amnesic effect and helps her forget the labor pain so that she
can bond to her baby with positive feelings and love.
When the initial rush from sex slows down, so does the
production in your body of oxytocin. Then you get to find out
if all the trust and positive feeling you have been having are based on
the reality of who this other person is, or on whatever fantasy you have assigned to them.
Wouldn’t it be better to find out what this other person is like, and then
after you enter into marriage your body can release this drug?